Many slips and falls are not serious. You pick yourself up and dust off your damaged pride, more than anything else. However, slips and falls can also result in serious injuries or even death. The most at-risk age group for injury from slip and fall accidents are the elderly.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, these statistics show how much slips and falls affect those who are age 65 and older:
- One in three adults who are age 65 and older falls every year
- An estimated 20% to 30% of those who fall suffer moderate to severe injuries, and these injuries make it difficult for them to live by themselves or get around
- In some cases, falls put seniors at risk for early death
- Their hospitalization for slips and falls is five times greater than hospitalizations for other reasons
- Emergency departments treated 2.4 million nonfatal fall injuries for senior adults in 2009
- Of the 2.4 million treated, 662,000 required hospitalizations
When unsafe conditions such as torn carpets, worn steps or poorly lit areas are the underlying cause of an elderly person’s slip and fall, you may have grounds for a lawsuit.
Long & Long personal injury and catastrophic accident attorneys can investigate the circumstances surrounding an accident and evaluate the prospects of taking legal action.
Call us at 724.834.9300 or fill out this contact form to schedule a call back today.